Last week, we talked about some of the things you might not know about how we live our lives here at the studio and how we do things. Now that you’re all up to speed and such and should feel comfortable joining in on a class with us, you might still be a little all WHAT EVEN on what to wear when you come to a yoga class.
Well, just as different as we all are, so are our wardrobes. We want you to feel confident and comfortable during your class, so we always recommend you wear something that ensures you feel that way. Now, your tightest, cutest skinny jeans might not be the best option, but you already knew that, right?
Let’s go over a few basics, first…
No shoes? No problem. All of our classes are barefoot, mat classes. So, we actually want you to get comfortable, take your shoes off, and feel at home.
Sports bras are a tricky thing. I mean, if you’re one of our brothers from another mother, we don’t expect you fellas to be walking in with a sports bra on. But, a shirt is ideal (Ahem, required). To our lady friends, though…That struggle is real. Uni-boob is a real thing. And the cutest sports bras aren’t always the most supportive. Although, we know not everyone necessarily has that issue and needs support…or even needs a sports bra. Or any bra, for that matter. But, we’re all rare birds here, right? Embracing our freaking uniqueness. In our classes, you won’t really find yourself doing a series of jumping jacks or jogging in place, so wearing a high-impact sports bra that’s certainly going to alter your breathing and flatten the girls into pancakes isn’t really going to be necessary. You’ll likely just want something durable enough to keep the ole gals from whacking you in the face when you go into downward dog.
Tights are an entirely different story. There are comfort issues and see-through issues and waist band probs and wobbly bits to deal with. We all have different shapes and sizes, and we most certainly have different priorities (and styles) when it comes to the tights we choose to wear to yoga class. So, we polled our instructors to help you out a little bit. All of our answers were just as different as you might imagine.
- Shelby loves to sport her fave LulaRoe leggings in her Yin classes. She’s a big fan of the crazy prints and patterns and she can actually wear them to work all day and then straight to the studio for class without having to change or even worry about packing an extra set of clothes.
- Victoria is an Old Navy fan, through and through. And occasionally you can catch her in between the racks of yoga pants at Walmart looking to snag a sweet deal.
- Jen tends to make her folks sweat in her Core classes, so she’s a Nike girl. She likes the flattering fit and the fact that she can wear them for running, yoga, and strength training.
- Sandie really digs GTS because she loves supporting a brand that’s made in the USA. Alo is another fave because of how ridiculously stylish, durable, and well-made their tights are.
- Brooke is currently obsessed with Prana, a fair-trade, sustainable clothing company. According to Brooke’s rambling, Prana’s yoga tights are pretty legit…The waist-band sits at just the right height so you don’t have mama hips spilling over the top and they’re just thick enough so you don’t feel like all of your wobbly bits are exposed, but not so thick that you’re sweating when you shouldn’t be. Glorious, right?
Also…Shirts? We’ve got you covered. Literally. Just snag a cute Rare Bird tee and represent on and off the mat.
So, dear local birds, the moral of the story is, whether you show up in sweatpants from the Dolla Gentral or a pair of $250 leggings made with golden thread and fairy wings, there’s a place for you here. Welcome home.